Venus Williams Headed to U.S. Open Semi-Finals



Re-posted from Blackvoices.com

As if anyone really questioned it when the tournament began, Venus Williams made her way to the U.S. Open semi-finals. She defeated French Open champ Francesca Schiavone 7-6 (5), 6-4 in the quarterfinals. Her next opponent and probably her toughest in the tournament so far is Kim Clijsters, who is on a 19-match winning streak.
"I want to be in the final, because then obviously it's just one more step," Williams, who came in to the tournament ranked 3rd in the world, told the Associated Press. "But I'm just focused on the semis, and I don't get too excited unless the tournament is over. I feel really comfortable here, and it's great to come back to a place where I have won and a place where I've played well."

Williams won the U.S. Open in 2000 and 2001 but hasn't played in a title match since losing to Serena in 2002. She's also the only American left in the tournament after the ousting of Sam Querry by Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka.


Even still, Kim Clijsters, in spite of her winning streak, also realizes that Venus will be her toughest match-up in the competition so far:
"Venus is a great competitor. She's been playing some really great tennis these last few matches," Clijsters said. "I look forward to it. It's a challenge."

To read more, click here.