Exhibit explores struggles of African-Americans, Jews

A couple years ago, African-American artist Loring Cornish was focusing his creativity on works that addressed the civil rights movement. When a Jewish couple, Ellen and Paul Saval, bought some other pieces of his, Cornish went to their home to hang the art.

By the time he was finished, "something came over me," he said. "I don't what it was. But I realized then that I had to include the struggles of the Jewish people in my work about the African-American experience. I went home, flipped over the 8-by-8(-foot) pieces I was doing and created Judaic art on the back."

Several double-sided, free-standing works covered with thousands of pieces of glass are a major part of "Loring Cornish: In Each Other's Shoes" opening this weekend at the Jewish Museum of Maryland. "He really makes a statement," said curator Karen Falk. "He is saying that civil rights isn't just about one group, but really about all of us. He's very attuned to other people's pain."

Read More >>>>>